Product Portfolio Manager – Cellular
A well-established company with a national footprint and frontier technology, who prides itself on excellent customer service and brand adoption is looking for a Product Portfolio Manager to take care of the Cellular business unit within the Product Department. The succesful candidate will be responsible for providing Strategic Leadership and Management for the Cellular product portfolio and associated team of Product Managers, Growth Managers and Product Owners. It will require the candidate to define the commercial strategy for all cellular network partner(s) and build the commercial and operational plan to deliver on each strategy
This role requires a strong understanding of the South Africa telecoms market and cellular industry – candidates will be expected to demonstrate functional expertise across a range of topics such as:
- Business Strategy
- Market Growth Strategy
- Route to Market Strategy
- Sales and Marketing Strategy
- Operational Improvement.
- BComm or tertiary qualification in a relevant field – Degree/Diploma
- MBA (desirable)
- Minimum 7 years’ experience in a similar, highly commercially focused role – responsible for achieving key financial outcomes with significant business impact
- Minimum 5 years team leadership experience, which should encompass building an effective team, working with business users, and managing third-party vendors
- Leadership course (desirable)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proven ability to quickly learn new applications, processes, and procedures
- Ability to create compelling business cases with accurate cost and effort estimations
- Excellent understanding of business complexity, business processes, and project interdependencies
- Strong analytical and product management skills required including a thorough understanding of how to interpret business needs and translate them into operational and project requirements
- In-depth understanding of the delivery lifecycles (e.g. Agile, waterfall, etc.) and project management principles
- Ability to analyze trends and performance and identify gaps between the current and future state of the product
- Analytical, conceptual, problem-solving and solution driven
- Natural leader and motivator with strategic decision making ability
- Intellectually curious and holistic thinker with focus on outcomes
- Have a project management mindset – must be able to drive collaboration and provide oversight to both the technical lead as well as any other stakeholders within the business and any third-parties involved
- Have a passion for technology solutions and display a deep client orientation and understanding of the informal retail market and Fintech industry
- Define the commercial strategy for all cellular network partner(s) and build the commercial and operational plan to deliver on each strategy.
- Create and deliver the annual joint business plan with cellular network partners that moves the relationships beyond a commercial contract.
- Maximize sales and revenue in existing and new channels per network
- Responsible to provide Strategic Leadership and Management of their specific product portfolio and associated team of product managers, growth manager and product owners.
- Improve the overall revenue contribution and performance of their portfolio of products for the business.
- Provide inputs and evaluation for business cases, defining business rules and working with relevant teams to define and refine existing and new products and processes.
- Compile revenue projections and forecasts for revenue.
- Market scanning and analysis – analyze and identify shortfalls and areas of improvement.
- Provide insights to the broader team around innovations and developments within the product portfolio directly and the general Fintech industry
- To regularly review launched products to ensure the performance is in line with initial assumptions and implement corrective measures if needed as well as look at how to improve/enhance products
- Be a “ Product Evangelist” – responsible for evangelizing your portfolio of products both internally and externally, by building a critical mass of support for the products and their usage through various activities and channels.
- Must understand the impact of different components and market events on product success