Shake Up Session: Thinking About Design
At FLASH, we are intentional about #MakingLifeEasier for our traders, which is why we have recruited a team whose sole purpose is to do just that. In our most recent ShakeUp! Session, our expert trader team, consisting of Richard, Alex and Julia, presented the design thinking process they followed when it came time to reconsider and redesign our FLASH device boxes and user guide.
Interviewing traders, testing prototypes and gaining invaluable insights along the way, this team reiterated the importance of knowing and learning about your market. For their research and implementation, the team followed the core steps and principles of Design Thinking.
Design Thinking is a design methodology that provides a solution-based approach to solving problems. It’s extremely useful in tackling complex problems that are ill-defined or unknown, by understanding the human needs involved, by re-framing the problem in human-centric ways, by creating many ideas in brainstorming sessions, and by adopting a hands-on approach in prototyping and testing. Understanding these five stages of Design Thinking will empower anyone to apply the Design Thinking methods in order to solve complex problems that occur around us.
1. Empathise: The first stage of their Design Thinking process was to gain an empathic understanding of the problem they were trying to solve i.e. the struggles traders face in opening and understanding the FLASH user guides and device boxes.
2. Define (the Problem): During the Define stage, the trader team put together the information they had created and gathered during the Empathise stage.
3. Ideate: At this stage, the trader team were ready to start generating ideas and brainstorming concepts and solutions.
4. Prototype: The team then let their creative juices flow by designing templates of what they envisioned the user guide to look like using the insights they had gathered from the research.
5. Test: The team then rigorously tested the complete product using the best solutions identified during the prototyping phase.
Thank you, trader team, for sharing your findings with the rest of our Obz office and helping us learn more about the most important people in our business, our traders.
FLASH AND DG MURRAY TRUST LAUNCH ELECTRONIC FOOD VOUCHER SYSTEMRead more >
COVID-19: Providing vulnerable communities with essential servicesRead more >
COVID-19: The Role That Retail Can PlayRead more >
Flash Year-End Function for 2019Read more >
Chelsea on Culture: Developing Our PeopleRead more >
Artificial Intelligence Explained by Jatin HarribhaiRead more >